The British Embassy in Mexico City develops and maintains relations between the UK and Mexico.

Their work covers a range of issues including a range of British interests in Mexico, working together through a number of bilateral programmes, including political, commercial and economic activities of interest to both countries.

They also provide services at the Embassy in Mexico City and the Honorary Consulate in Cancun. Their DIT offices in Monterrey, Guadalajara and Tijuana support British companies trading in Mexico and Mexican companies investing in the United Kingdom.

Black Line Break 960X5px

Urgent assistance

If you are in Mexico and you urgently need help (e.g. if you have been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call – (0052) 55 1670 3200. If you are in the UK and concerned about a British national in Mexico, call 020 7008 1500.


Get or renew a passport

The British Embassy cannot help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help, see:

If you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document, see:


Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you are abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, see:

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact the Embassy as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and

  • are a British citizen and

  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact the Embassy to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or

  • not a British citizen or

  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted the Embassy, you will be advised to book an appointment for an emergency travel document at British Embassy Mexico City, here:!/british-embassy-mexico-city/issuing-an-emergency-travel-document/slot_picker


If you are planning to transit/enter the US 

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETD) are not valid for entry into the United States under the Visa Waiver Programme. If you are planning to enter the US using an ETD you must apply for a visa from the nearest US Embassy or Consulate before you travel, or hold a valid lawful permanent resident card (often referred to as a ‘green card’), which you must have with you on arrival.


Get a visa

The British Embassy cannot help with visa enquiries.

If you are not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa here:

If you are a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on their foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit, see:

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration, see:


Notarial and documentary services

They may be able to offer notarial services, including administering an oath, affirmation or affidavit or making a certified copy of a document. See the full list of notarial and documentary services they provide here:


Legalisation services

The British Embassy in Mexico City does not provide legalisation services. Read the notarial and documentary services page for more information on legalization here:

Ask the UK Government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine), here:


Local service provider lists

The Embassy provides a list of:


How else the Embassy can help

In addition to the services listed above they can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds

  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital

  • help people with mental illness

  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping

  • contact family or friends for you if you want

  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services they can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide:


Consular fees

They charge fees for some of their services. See the full list of consular fees in Mexico:

Contact Form